Authorities will not ask you to leave your home unless they have reason to believe you are in danger.
If you are ordered to evacuate, take:
- your emergency kit
- your emergency plan
- essential medications and copies of prescriptions
- a cellular phone (if you have one)
- your pets
Pets are not allowed in some emergency shelters, so plan in advancefor a pet-friendly location.
Protect your home:
- Shut off water and electricity if officials tell you to.
- Leave natural gas service on, unless officials tell you to turn it off. (If you turn off the gas, the gas company has to reconnect it. In a major emergency, it could take weeks for a professional to respond. You would be without gas for heating and cooking).
- Lock your home.
If you have time:
- Call or e-mail your out-of-town contact. Tell them where you are going and when you expect to arrive. (Once you are safe, let them know. Tell them if any family members have become separated.)
- Leave a note telling others when you left and where you are going.